Introduction

Station House was built by the Great Northern Railway in 1899 and the adjacent Signal Box was built in 1877 alongside what was originally, in 1848, the mainline from Peterborough to York. The line was closed in 1971 in the aftermath of the “Beeching axe” and in recent years the present owners have incorporated the signal box into the main house as well as extending the latter. Station House is situated in the heart of rural Lincolnshire, secluded but not remote, overlooking the River Witham and within sight of Lincoln Cathedral, some 15 miles away “as the crow flies” or 20 miles by road.
Behind the house lie some 3 acres of garden and woodland. To the North and South the riverbank and old railway track offer quiet walks and nearby runs the Viking Way, suitable for the more dedicated walkezr. The old railway track has been made into a cycle path so it is possible for ambitious cyclists to get as far
as Lincoln and Boston!
Three miles away lies Woodhall Spa and within 10 miles or so, along the river, are the sites of five medieval abbeys and priories. Stixwould village is just over a mile to the North- East and has a stone-built Victorian Church which is used regularly for worship.

Accommodation and Facilities
Station House can welcome up to eight guests so that we can accommodate family groups; however, as our aim is to give time to our guests, the actual number will normally be much smaller than this. The Bedrooms are well appointed, each having single/twin beds (as required), cupboard space and seating, as well as kettle, tea and coffee. Each room has en-suite facilities
with the exception of one room which has its own sitting room overlooking the river as well as easy access to the main bathroom. In addition to the Signal Box sitting room on the first floor, overlooking the river, there is a ground floor lounge with log fire. There is also a small “quiet” sitting room, again overlooking the
river. The house has an extensive library of books and records. At the end of the garden, beyond the wood, is a sheltered Place Apart where guests may sit quietly and reflect peacefully or just enjoy the view across open fields. We welcome guests as members of the household, hoping they will join us for home-cooked meals though these can be served in guests’ rooms or in the sitting room if preferred.
Since Station House is no longer on the mainline and lies some 20 miles from the nearest Station and in addition rural buses are few, we can arrange to meet guests at nearby stations - and of course deliver them to the same stations to catch return trains or coaches. For Lincoln, Sleaford and Boston stations we make no charge to full-board guests but for journeys to Newark and
Grantham we make a charge to cover fuel.
For guests who would like to visit local landmarks such as the Cathedral, Tattershall Castle, Boston “Stump”, Louth, etc, but are without their own transport, we can arrange to take you in our own car for only the cost of fuel. Such arrangements may be restricted by our responsibilities to other guests but we shall do our best to accommodate the wishes of all concerned.
We have a few cycles available for guests who feel they would like to meet the challenge of the cycle path.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player